Monday, February 4, 2008

George's Love of Jazz (Chapter 3)


I continued walking towards the river on Couch and crossed the street to get to a small record shop called 360 Vinyl. The shop was mainly known for its hip-hop collection, but I heard that it had some jazz albums on vinyl. I love the warm sound of vinyl, and I have a very expensive turntable to play them. I had never been in there before, so I wasn’t keeping my expectations high.

I noticed a few customers looked at me with concern. They were probably wondering why an old fart like me was walking in a hip-hop shop. I continued to the jazz section and started thumbing through their selection. I realized this was more soul than jazz, but one album peaked my interest- Yesterday’s New Quintet’s album called Yesterdays. This one was the closest to the jazz I preferred. I grabbed it and walked to the register where the employee was talking on the phone.

“No, sorry. We don’t carry mainstream rap. No pop here. Maybe you should check out Sam Goody or Fred Meyer’s or something.” He looked at his co-worker and smiled. “Hey, but if you want to listen to some real hip-hop, come on by.” Click. He hung up abruptly and chuckled. He looked at me and asked, “Is that it?”

“Yes, sir. That will do for now.”

“Cool. Twenty-eight bucks”, he responded.

No comments: